Saturday, April 25, 2015

V is for Verb

Another grammar day here on Dawn Embers blog and part of the A to Z challenge. We're near the end and I must admit, it will be nice to get back to a regular, few posts a month, schedule in May. Though I also plan to jump around to others blogs to comment on them during May as that part I didn't quite keep up with well this time around. Make sure you check out some of the other blogs here.

Verb

Definition: any member of a class of words that function as the main elements of predicates, that typically express action, state, or a relation between two things, and that may be inflected for tense, aspect, voice, mood, and to show agreement with their subject or object. (source = dictionary.com)

All verbs are not created equal, however. Often times, the ones I need to edit out the most that I'm sure others might too, are the ones that show a general state of being. Yep, the "be" verb commonly known as "is" "was" and "will be". Okay, maybe not "will be" often because who writes in future tense? Not that they don't come in handy at times, but it's easy to overuse the "be" verb along with the adding of -ing to verbs. That's something else I also work on in edits, the number of times the action has the -ing added to it.


Links:
http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/verb.htm
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/verbs.htm
http://www.momswhothink.com/reading/list-of-verbs.html


What are your favorite verbs? Do you have enough action in your sentences?

1 comments:

SENCO Cat Herder said...

Hello there! Nice to meet via the A to Z Challenge - I thought of using verbs as part of my V post too but decided against it in the end - I get a lot of practise of using them in teaching!!
Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace